The semester is over and we’ve got finals next week. We will present our portfolio of conceptual design in one-on-one interview sessions on Tuesday. Class participants will share their design samples and a leave behind.
This was one of my favorite projects completed this season. Many of these were refined more:
Login to SAKAI for Quiz and in-class lectures
- Reading Quiz 2: Photoshop Toolbar
- Visual Storytelling Lecture / Photography Basics
- Intro to Photoshop Project:
- Narrative poster: Using Photography to Tell a Story.
- Choose a topic or individual that interests you and write up
Activity: Begin Tutorials (SAKAI)…starting with Layers
Complete at Home:
- Read Textbook: 3: Adobe Bridge, and 4: Camera RawPS
- Watch & Complete: Tutorials Assignment
- Create: Photo Shoot of individual subject: Shoot 30 pics of a single subject (person). When shooting, consider the 5 principles of photographic design: simplicity, the rule of thirds, balance, framing, and use of lines. We will use Adobe Bridge to organize and edit these photos in class next week. Save the 30 images to a folder on your flash drive and bring to class next week.
Week 1: Welcome to Digital Imaging Quiz: No Reading Quiz
- Intro to Syllabus
- Key Concepts
- Class Policy
- Intro to Photoshop, WP, and Sakai
- Setup WP Blog for Course
- Photoshop interface
- Introductory Selfie Project – Post to Blog and add URL to Discussion forum (Sunday, Midnight)
Complete at Home:
- Read: PS Toolbar, Textbook 1-2
- Watch: N/A
- Create: Finish editing Selfie – Post to blog and add URL to discussion forum by Midnight, Sunday
This means that we will read, watch video tutorials that illustrate the readings, and create elementary design collaterals outside of the class. And we work on our major projects in class. Got it?
While the samples referenced here have been created by other designers, you can create your own mockups—to showcase your design work too. This tutorial gives step-by-step instructions (and pictures). Design Panoply: Create a Business Card Mockup in Photoshop using the Vanishing Point Filter,
You may need to copy and paste the URL into a new browser window
Click to view full-sized: variations on an iPad mockup.
When showcasing your designs in a digital portfolio, it’s an excellent idea to provide up to three views of your samples; a full view, and 1-2 details. The freebies below offer you options.
*If these don’t work for you, search online for others—there are tens of thousands of useful PSD mockups available online–both free and paid.
Logo & Identity Package Full View:
Identity Package Details:
Graphic Narrative Collage Full View:
Pixden, PSD iPad Air Mockup,
Print and Digital Advertisements:
Infographic Poster Full View or for Details
Okay I cut a few corners in this how-to. My X-acto blade was somewhere. This process worked well with the hand-razor. However, it’s the basics of spray mounting. Remember to always work in a well-ventilated area:
We’ve recently completed our first practice infographic, followed immediately by these. This assignment is one that I love to watch develop–and it outlines something that aligns with my personal ethos…bike riding.
Here are several of our first series of designs: